Our office primarily uses Sacro Occipital Technic™ (SOT® Methods) for care of patients of all ages. SOT® Methods describes the gentle stabilization of the pelvis (sacrum) and its realignment with the top of the spine (occiput). SOT® Methods is a system of indicators (neurological, muscular, and orthopedic) that allows the doctor to determine, and then correct, imbalances throughout the body. The efficacy of treatment is confirmed by a reduction of these indicators.
SOT® Methods is effective for traditional chiropractic complaints such as neck and back pain, as well as discomforts of the visceral system like colic, indigestion and irritable bowel syndrome. Other treated concerns include headaches, ear infections, PMS, menopause, and infertility. We also treat extremity complaints like shoulder pain, tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, knee, ankle and foot discomforts, and joint pain.
Craniopathy is a gentle treatment of the cranium (skull).
Cranial bones are designed to move. These slight movements act as a ‘pump’ which circulates the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord. This cerebrospinal fluid needs to circulate freely for optimal health of the nervous system.
Craniopathy treats headache, concussion, head injuries and TMJ disorders. It is also very effective for treating infants and children following healthy and traumatic births, as well as those with plagiocephaly, torticollis, colic, latching/feeding difficulties and as a complement to orthodontics.
There are many ways our chiropractors help infants, toddlers and kids of all ages. Some are listed below:
- Use Craniopathy, a technique that is particularly helpful for infants experiencing colic, reflux, cranial distortion, sleep issues and recovering from traumatic births.
- Perform tongue-tie assessment and post-correction cranial work.
- Treat emergency injuries from falls, bumps, bruises and ow-wies.
- Work with children throughout childhood and adolescence to foster strong development.
- Work to prevent and heal injuries in young athletes.
- Work with coaches and trainers to develop appropriate rehab and strength-building plans.
- Treat and support youth with concussions for faster and fuller recoveries.
- Support and prevent orthodontic intervention with cranial work.
- Work with pediatricians to follow the recommended helmet protocol for plagiocephaly, which states that less invasive treatment must be tried for 3 months prior to fitting for helmets. Helmets can sometimes be avoided altogether through the use of cranial chiropractic work for infants.
All of our chiropractors work with the body’s ability to adapt and function the way it is designed to. Chiropractic care in pregnancy is vital to the healthy physiological function of both the mother and baby in pregnancy, birth, and postpartum healing.
Our doctors are trained in the use of special techniques for pregnancy which include:
- Cranial work that further facilitates your body’s own natural healing abilities.
- Webster Technique treatments that can release a breech baby to move into proper birthing position.
- Organ reflex work to manage digestive and visceral discomforts.
- Coordinated care with your obstetrician, midwife or doula to manage pain and prepare you for labor.
- Drug-free remedies for morning sickness and digestive discomforts.
- Postpartum care at home for mom and baby (for established patients).
- Special adjusting pillows allow facedown treatment to naturally relieve lower back pain.
More than just care for low back pain, many mothers have come to recognize the vital role that chiropractic plays in a healthy pregnancy. They report that regular adjustments helped them feel healthier during their pregnancy. Chiropractic care helped decrease their morning sickness, facilitated shorter labor and delivery times and increased an overall sense of well-being.
Prenatal chiropractic care can also help with the following:
- Back Pain: The position of your growing baby will cause your center of gravity to shift and your spine will naturally alter itself to accommodate this change. As a result, you may experience low back and pelvic pain. A study shows that 84% of pregnant women that received chiropractic care reported relief from low back pain.
- Bone Health and Alignment: The increase in hormones during pregnancy can also cause muscles, ligaments, cartilage and even bones to “soften” and become more pliable. Pelvic bones may even become displaced or fixated. Since your hips will need to spread to accommodate the delivery of your baby, fixated pelvic bones can lead to complications during delivery.
- General Health and Comfort: Chiropractic care helps to improve your overall wellness, increases your comfort during pregnancy and helps you to have a safe and natural delivery.
Postpartum chiropractic care also relieves pain and helps women regain strength and balance in their hips and pelvis.
TONGUE-TIE AND LACTATION RESOURCES
Tongue-tie exists in 3-5% of newborns. This condition limits a baby’s ability to latch correctly, which can cause painful irritation of a mother’s nipples and limit her milk supply. This often disrupts nursing goals and leads to alternative feeding methods.
Our doctors will work with your local pediatrician and lactation consultant. We utilize Hazelbaker’s Assessment Tool for Lingual Frenulum Function (ATLFF), a tongue-tie diagnostic tool, to determine if referral for a frenectomy is recommended. Our in-house lactation team also works with mothers to maintain their milk supply by observing a baby’s latch and creating a plan.
Sometimes frenectomy can be avoided through the use of cranial/body work. For others, frenectomies are critical to a rapid improvement in a baby’s ability to latch and nurse independently without aids, and in a way that is pain-free for the mother.
In addition to childhood speech problems, we find that some adults with uncorrected tongue-tie have TMJ and teeth grinding problems which cause excessive tightness in their necks, heads and upper thoracic regions. Correcting this with a frenectomy and cranial work, even in adulthood, can release much of this tension and greatly improve quality of life.
Our certified lactation counselors are available to check positioning and latch and to answer questions related to breast and infant feeding. They are also mothers who provide peer support and are knowledgeable about community resources. Patients are welcome to stop in or call with lactation questions at any time.
Whether it’s fitness pursuits, yardwork, or trying to keep up with our younger selves, many of us overdo it on the weekends. This can leave us feeling sore, frustrated and even injured.
We will help you get back to feeling your best if you do get injured, or if you’re having trouble sleeping or experiencing pain and discomfort that interferes with your daily life. Routine preventive care assists you in attaining your goals and limiting injury. For further support, in addition to treatment, your doctor will provide you with personal exercise recommendations.
Monday : 8:30A – 12P & 2P – 5:30P
Tuesday : 9A – 1P & 3P – 7P
Wednesday : 11A – 6P
Thursday : 9A – 1P & 3P – 7P
Friday : 9A – 1P & 2P – 5P